Dandruff Shampoo For Color Treated Hair: Tips And Recommendations
Written by Pauline Lafleur May 27, 2022 · 3 min read
Table of Contents
If you have color treated hair and also suffer from dandruff, you may be wondering what type of shampoo to use. Dandruff shampoos are often harsh and can strip the color from your hair, leaving it dull and lifeless. However, there are certain shampoos that can effectively treat dandruff without damaging your color treated hair. In this article, we will discuss some tips and recommendations for choosing the best dandruff shampoo for color treated hair in 2023.
Dandruff is a common scalp condition that causes flaking and itching. It is often caused by a fungal infection or an overproduction of sebum. Dandruff shampoos work by targeting the fungus or reducing oil production in the scalp. However, these shampoos can also strip the hair of its natural oils, leading to dryness and damage. When choosing a dandruff shampoo for color treated hair, it is important to select one that is gentle and moisturizing.
Top Dandruff Shampoos for Color Treated Hair
1. Nizoral Anti-Dandruff Shampoo: This shampoo contains ketoconazole, which is a powerful antifungal agent. It effectively treats dandruff while also preserving hair color. It is gentle enough to use on color treated hair and can be used once or twice a week. 2. Head & Shoulders Supreme Color Protect Shampoo: This shampoo is specially formulated for color treated hair. It contains pyrithione zinc, which is a proven dandruff-fighting ingredient. It also helps to protect hair color and leave hair soft and shiny. 3. Neutrogena T/Sal Shampoo: This shampoo contains salicylic acid, which helps to exfoliate the scalp and reduce dandruff. It is gentle enough to use on color treated hair and can be used once or twice a week. It also helps to relieve itching and flaking.
Tips for Using Dandruff Shampoo on Color Treated Hair
1. Use a sulfate-free shampoo: Sulfates can strip hair color and leave hair dry and brittle. Look for a dandruff shampoo that is sulfate-free to protect your color treated hair. 2. Use a color-safe conditioner: After using a dandruff shampoo, it is important to use a conditioner that is safe for color treated hair. This will help to restore moisture and prevent damage. 3. Don't overuse dandruff shampoo: Overuse of dandruff shampoo can lead to dryness and damage. Use the shampoo as directed and no more than twice a week.
1. Can dandruff shampoo strip hair color?
Yes, some dandruff shampoos contain harsh ingredients that can strip hair color. It is important to choose a gentle and moisturizing dandruff shampoo that is safe for color treated hair.
2. How often should I use dandruff shampoo?
Dandruff shampoo should be used no more than twice a week. Overuse of dandruff shampoo can lead to dryness and damage.
3. Can I use regular shampoo on color treated hair?
Regular shampoo can be used on color treated hair, but it is important to choose a sulfate-free shampoo to protect the color. It is also important to use a color-safe conditioner to prevent damage.
4. Can dandruff shampoo cause hair loss?
Dandruff shampoo is not known to cause hair loss. However, if you are experiencing hair loss, it is important to speak to a healthcare provider to determine the underlying cause.